Chemical peels are popular skin treatments used to treat a variety of concerns. They can freshen and rejuvenate the skin by stimulating new skin growth and improving surface texture and appearance. A chemical peel is applied in layers and the results vary depending on the level of penetration achieved. There are three possible depths of peels: superficial, medium, and deep.
Chemical face peels can be combined with other resurfacing and rejuvenation methods to create individualised treatment plans.
Chemical peels are treatments designed to reduce the appearance of irregularities on the skin’s surface and reveal a smooth, revitalised texture through regenerating and resurfacing the skin. They remove the top layers of the skin, help to stimulate collagen remodelling, reduce tonal discolouration, improve skin texture and hydration, reduce congestion and improve the overall appearance of the skin.
Various strengths and types of chemical skin peels are available and a professional skin consultation is necessary to ensure the appropriate peel treatment is selected for your specific skin concerns.
What skin conditions would benefit from this treatment?
• Acneic and congested.
• Sun damaged.
• Dull and lifeless.
When are chemical peels not suitable?
Peels should not be performed within 2 weeks of having
injectable dermal fillers, waxing, depilatory cream application,
electrolysis, laser or IPL in the area to be treated. This treatment is never performed on facial warts or lesions.
Peels are not recommended for clients who:
• Are pregnant or lactating.
• Are allergic to asprin and other salicylates.
• Have had surgery or cryosurgery within the last 6 weeks to the treated area.
• Have herpes simplex (cold sores).
• Have had a prior reaction to chemical peels or microdermabrasion.
• Have had recent radiation treatment for cancer.
• Are sunburnt or have had significant sun exposure two days prior to treatment.
• Have used Accutane within the past 6 months.
Discontinue prescription retinoids 5 days prior to treatment. Please notify your nurse of any allergies you may have to specific ingredients, or medication you may be taking.
Possible side effects of skin needling:
• Skin may peel 5-7 days following the treatment
• A tingling or burning sensation may be felt during the application of the peel.
• The skin may appear slightly pink and feel tight immediately following the peel treatment
• Sun protection must be worn and reapplied following the treatment. This is particularly important due to increased sensitivity to UV light in the 1-10 day period following a chemical skin peeling treatment.
Prior to chemical skin peels, it is advised to prepare the skin with active ingredients to maximise results and ensure a safe and effective treatment. Commence using Synergie Skin vitamin A/retinol for a minimum of 14 days prior to treatment.
Resume your normal skincare regime (active products) only when all signs of inflammation have totally subsided. This is typically 3-5 days post treatment.
Immediately following your treatment:
• For the first 8 hours, do not apply additional products on your skin.
• For the first 8 hours, do not expose the skin to water.
• Cleanse and moisturise with Cetaphil or QV wash.
• Avoid facial waxing for 7 days.
• Do not use skin care with “active” ingredients (Hydroxy Acids, Retinoids and L-Ascorbic Acid) for 4 to 5 days post your treatment or until all inflammation subsides.
• Do not pick, scratch or abrade the treated area.
• Avoid heat or perspiration inducing activities for 24 hours following the treatment.
• Avoid UV exposure, saunas, spas or chlorinated pools for 4 to 5 days post your treatment.
• Maintain a full sun protection regimen (with UberZinc and Synergie Minerals).
We recommend cleansing and moisturising with Cetaphil or QV wash.
Wearing make up post treatment:
Avoid using makeup for a minimum of 24 hours after having a chemical peel.
As your skin can be sensitive in the days following your treatment, opt for high quality mineral makeup to conceal redness and to protect the skin from sun damage.
After 24 hours, Synergie Minerals makeup products are a great option for sun protection following your treatment as they are specifically formulated with a high concentration of zinc oxide, titanium oxide and iron oxide to protect the skin from UV damage.