SKIN NEEDLING/ COLLAGEN INDUCTION THERAPY
Our skin needling treatments are available in both our Darwin & Brisbane clinics – read more below then book your appointment with us online.
Skin needling can strengthen your collagen fibres and reduce the
appearance of fine lines, making it a suitable treatment for many areas of the body.
Through this response, the body regenerates collagen, thereby
remodelling the skin’s elasticity, tone, and texture.
Cosmetic skin needling or Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT) is a treatment to improve your skin texture, smooth wrinkles and fine lines, and soften scars. It is suitable for all skin types and all areas of the face, neck, decolletage and back.
Skin needling is performed with a medical grade instrument with stainless steel micro needles 2.0mm in length.
Hyaluronic acid gel and niacinamide may be used during the treatment to help hydrate the skin and minimise fine lines. A cosmetic needling treatment promotes the natural production of collagen and elastin, making the skin feel smoother and tighter.
A skin needling treatment is minimally invasive and creates only microscopic punctures in the epidermis.
With minimal damage to the epidermis, collagen production is significantly faster compared to more aggressive treatments .
What skin conditions would benefit from this treatment?
• Acne or acnetic skin.
• Enlarged pores.
• Skin with surgical and injury induced scarring.
• Ageing skin; those looking to minimise fine lines and wrinkles (especially perioral and infraorbital regions).
• Dry skin types.
• Skin with poor texture and laxity.
• All Fitzpatrick skin types.
When is skin needling not suitable?
CIT should not be performed within 2 weeks of having anti-wrinkle injections, dermal fillers, chemical peels, waxing, depilatory creams, electrolysis, laser or IPL in the area to be treated. The treatment is also not to be performed on raised moles, warts or lesions.
Prior to commencing the treatment, please notify your nurse of any allergies you may have to specific ingredients, or medication you may be taking.
IT is not recommended for clients who:
• Are pregnant or lactating.
• Have active herpes, acne lesions, open cuts, wounds or sunburnt skin. However, once resolved the treatment can proceed after 2 weeks.
• Suffer from medical conditions such as diabetes and blood clotting disorders.
Possible side effects of skin needling;
• Redness of the skin for 1-3 days following the treatment.
• Minor post treatment swelling for 1-3 days.
• Weeping of the skin during the first 24 hours.
• Mild discomfort during the treatment.
• Possible blood spotting during treatment.
• Possible bruising post treatment.
• Possible skin grazing over concentrated areas after the treatment.
• If prone to cold sores, the treated area may become infected if there is a herpes episode during this period.
• Bacterial infection possible but very rare. Skin must be kept clean and hydrated post treatment.
The above side effects are a guide only. Significant down time is to be expected post a medical grade skin needling treatment. This is further explained during your consult.
Prior to skin and face needling it is advised to prepare the skin with active ingredients to maximise the benefits and ensure a safe and effective treatment. It is recommended that retinol/vitamin A is applied for a minimum 2 weeks prior to commencing the treatment. This is a serum that is applied nightly and is discussed during your complimentary consult.
• Do not use skin care with active ingredients (Hydroxy Acids, Retinol and L-Ascorbic Acid) for 4 to 5 days or until all inflammation subsides.
• Do not touch or rub the face immediately following the treatment.
• Do not use spray tan products for 48 – 72 hours.
• Avoid UV exposure, saunas, spas or chlorinated pools for 48 hours.
Post skin needling home care routine
After-care is vital to maximise the results of your needling. Cleanse and moisturise the face or treatment area with Cetaphil or QV wash for the next 4 to 5 days. Please note: check for sunscreen additives in your neutral moisturiser. The skin will sting and feel irritated if this is applied within the first 24 hours post treatment.
No significant sun exposure for 4 to 5 days post treatment. Ensure active sun protection for incidental sun exposure from 24 hours post treatment. SUN PROTECTION must be carried out at all times for age prevention.
Resume your normal skincare regimen (with active ingredients) when there are no signs of inflammation to the skin. This is typically 4 to 5 days post your treatment.
Maximise your results:
Using a daily needling device such as Synergie Skin Rejuvaderm Home Roller aids in the penetration of active ingredients by up to forty times more than topical application. Using a roller at home daily with your morning and evening skincare regimen improves the delivery of
ingredients, increases exfoliation and minimises the appearance of fine lines.
Wearing make up post treatment:
Avoid using makeup for a minimum of 24 hours post your treatment.
As your skin can be sensitive in the days following a treatment, opt for high quality mineral makeup to conceal redness and protect the skin from sun damage.
After 24 hours, Synergie Mineral makeup products are a great option for sun protection following your treatment. They are specifically formulated with a high concentration of zinc oxide, titanium oxide and iron oxide to protect the skin from UV damage.